1. Check your rough opening size
Width = door size x 2 + 1” Example: 2/6=30” x 2 = 60" + 1" = 61” RO
Height for 150 I-Beam Series - Door height plus 5 1/2"
Height for SD150, HD325 & XHD500 Box Beam Series - Door height plus
5 1/2"Height for 325 I-Beam Series - Door height plus 6 1/2"
If your rough opening is framed correctly you are ready to proceed. Identify your wall width. 3 ½ and 5 ½ are standard width. Other wall widths can easily be accommodated but will need minor modification to the head piece.
- Remove the steel posts and the bottom mounting bracket and assemble them by snapping them securely into each other. One set for each side of the wall.
- Remove the head piece from the packaging. It will either be a 2x4 or 2x6 depending upon your application. It will have the track and a track cover (1 ½ x 2 ¼ x door width) already assembled along with the mounting bracket for the steel posts. Standard head is for a 3/0 door width. If your door is smaller, you will need to adjust the length of the head by making 2 cuts. The track cover (1 ½ x 2 ¼ x door width) should be removed and cut to the size of your door. The over all length of the head should be your door size x 2 + 1 and cut off of the pocket side of the head.
- Lay the header on the floor and remove the track covers (2) and the floor mounting brackets. Take the header and place it in the rough opening. Use clamps to temporarily secure it to the rough framing header. Now take 2 posts attached to the same floor mounting bracket and place the opposite end into the top mounting bracket and slide the posts into place. Now repeat with the remaining posts for the other side of the pocket. Use a proper sized spacer block between the posts and clamp them together. Now place shims between the rough header and the LVL header forcing it tight to the posts. Push the LVL header tight to the trimmer at the opening side. VERY IMPORTANT Place shims at strategic locations until the track is perfectly level then securely fasten the LVL header to the rough frame header with nails or screws.
- Very Important!! With a long level, plumb the steel posts and securely fasten them to the subfloor. Make sure that you are in line with each side of the rough opening. Now replace the track cover pieces and trim your shims flush with the wall. If you are using T floor guide, follow the supplied instructions and install now.
- Double check the depth of the pocket (door size) and the opening (door size + 1”)
- You are now finished with the heavy duty steel pocket frame installation. Place the bag of hardware in a secure location until you are ready to install the door.